| MESSIAH LUTHERAN CHURCH
21485 Lorain Rd
Fairview Park, Oh 44126
This page is especially for people who want to explore Messiah as a possible church home.
Involvement with other Christians is God's will for us all. It's essential if the faith in Christ we were baptized into is to live and grow and produce the fruits that God seeks from it. That's why the Holy Spirit puts Christians together in churches and leads others to explore or join them. As a rule the more we get involved the deeper our commitment becomes not only to the church itself but to the Christ whose word and promise has formed it.
Coming to a church (or any other organization) for the first time is a little like approaching a swimming pool. You can plunge in or you can edge in. Since almost all of us are "edgers" we offer here some suggestions on where to start with your involvement at Messiah and how to move in deeper once you're comfortable with those first steps.
In the beginning—
- Attend services. Be as regular as you can for a stretch of two months.
- Ask for prayer. Allow some people here to care for somebody you care for. Call the church office to add your special prayer request to Sunday morning prayers.
- Attend a Sunday morning class to see what it’s like. Check the calendar and News & Announcements insert for updated class opportunities.
- Begin contributing. When the offering plate goes by drop something in or click on the 'Donate' tab and contribute through our website. Contributions connect you to the ministries happening within and outside of this church community.
Moving a little further in—
- Keep coming to services. Stretch it out for six months. If something happens at a service that leaves you scratching your head email one of the pastors and ask about it.
- Volunteer for a one-time service opportunity. Get to know the names of the people you meet there. Reading through the News & Announcements each week will help you know when these opportunities are coming up.
- Take the pastors’ information class offered multiple times throughout the year.
- Say hello to the people who sit around you when you’re at church.
- Join a small group--women's Friday Bible Study, Wednesday morning Bible study, or Wednesday evening young men's study.
- Ask the office for a contributor number so they can track your gifts and issue an end-of-the-year report for IRS purposes.
Going still deeper—
- Attend a midweek service in Advent or Lent; or come to the annual confirmation service (third Sunday in May) to see what happens and to support the confirmands.
- Join a ministry team for a fixed period of time: Trustees, Altar Guild, Education, or Mission and Ministry (to name a few).
- Volunteer for a one-time servant event with one of the local mission agencies that Messiah supports.
- Make an offering pledge for the next 12 months (forms available in the church office).
- Take on a regular task for a 12-month period. (Watch bulletins and newsletters for needs, or inquire at the church office).
- Attend the annual voters’ meeting.
Plunging in all the way—
- Talk to a pastor about serving in some capacity at weekend services.
- Volunteer to lead a ministry team.
- Write down a list of the people you know at Messiah (use a church directory to help--available in the church office). Pray for two or three every day.
- Offer to serve a mentor for new, incoming worshipers and members. Connect with Deaconess Jeanette to volunteer.
- Commit to a regular over-and-above contribution to a special ministry at Messiah or at one of the mission agencies that Messiah supports.
- Recruit some friends and fellow members for a regular small group study at home. Talk to a pastor about how to launch and run it.